If you haven’t noticed by now, I tend to have a small obsession with sea creatures and the lives they live in and around the ocean. And wanting to further feed that obsession I decided I would draw on my other passion, designing pixel-perfect vectors. The result of those two passions is Vector Harbor.
However, it’s not just for me. It’s an effort to provide both free and affordable vectors to designers.
Well, one of the things that really gets to me is seeing a shark (or other gamefish) illustration whose design is either too low-res, or just anatomically incorrect. If I can use my powers of design to help stem that, then maybe I can get some sleep at night.
So, in order to bring Vector Harbor to life, I spend my free time chipping away at oceanic inspired illustrations. Currently these illustrations live here in my blog. However, as Vector Harbor becomes more of a reality, those assets, and others like them, will relocate to vectorharbor.com
Everything you see below is where I am currently at in this process. It has a long ways to go. And hopefully I will have something together by the end of the year.
Sketching some ideas
I’ve been working on this idea for well over a year now. And as such, there are quite a few sketches scattered throughout my various note books.
Working out the concepts
Deciding it was time to get out of the sketchbook and start comping up the ideas. I spent many an hour polishing on an idea and then repeating the process for the next.
Various first-round ideas
I posted a few of the polished ideas to dribbble, and over time I ended up with an even larger set of logo marks. It seemed like no matter what I tried, I couldn’t capture the V and the H in a way that I felt represented not only the service, but also my own personality.
Final logo design
And then one rainy Seattle Sunday I stumbled onto an idea that really clicked with me. If you take a look at the previous concept round you will notice that the otter I ended up with is an evolution of the last idea in that set. While it’s no where near what I started out with, it was everything I was looking for. Crazy how that works out sometimes.
With the logo mark locked down I spent a couple weeks trying to pick out a font that worked. I really should have shown this process, but there were quite a few art boards of custom designed fonts, all of which just weren’t working with the brand. In the end I chose to keep it simple and went with basic Museo. In addition to the font selection, I filled out the rest of the color palette.
And this is where the project currently ends.
Well, it’s not the end end. I am still working on the brand’s overall look and feel. However, building out a full brand identity is a longer process. And while it’s not one that I need to launch the service, It is an exercise that I want to include in my current workflow so I can keep my identity skills nice and sharp.